Thursday, October 3, 2013

Homemade Laundry Soap

I have been making my own laundry soap for over a year now. A friend sent the recipe to me and another friend and I made it one afternoon and LOVE it. I think the main reason we chose powder form is so we could stick a cute vinyl label on the container! It's so much cheaper than name brands and I think it works better. Here are step-by-step instructions:

Ingredients:

  • 1 box Borax (4 lb.)
  • 1 box Baking Soda (4 lb.)
  • 1 box Washing Soda (3 lb. 7 oz)
  • 3 bars Fels-Naptha Soap
  • Oxi Clean (I use about 2 lbs)

Wal-Mart conveniently has the ingredients all together in the laundry section.

I usually cut the recipe in half but decided to make a full batch today. I mix it over a double lined trash can.

Directions:

1. Shave the bars of soap. I use a Pampered Chef microplane. You can order one here. This is the hardest part but the bright side is getting a good triceps workout.

2. Pour in the other ingredients (slowly). It's somewhat strong so keep a little distance!

4. Mix together.



I have a glass container from Hobby Lobby to store the soap in. You can order a cute vinyl label from me here.


For HE machines, use 1-2 tbsp soap per load. 

For standard machines, use 1/2 cup-3/4 cup per load.

note: There is very little smell for this recipe. I add smell good beads to most of my loads.

This is so easy to make and costs $11.77 (before the oxi-clean). It lasts my family of 7 for months!











No comments:

Post a Comment